Top Five Tips for Working at Home
I’ve been working from home off and on for the last 20 years. It used to be deemed unprofessional, and I would try to hide the fact. Recently, it has become more acceptable and even considered a perk in some companies. Now, with the coronavirus devastation, working from home is a temporary requirement for most industries. For those who are new to the experience or find it more difficult as time progresses, here are my Top Five Tips for Working at Home.
- Create an office space, preferably one that has a door that you can shut when you are done with work. Out of sight, out of mind.
- Create office hours and break schedules and stick to them.
- Try not to snack! It is an easy thing to do as a form of procrastination. I chew gum, or if I do snack, opt for healthier items like baby carrots and celery sticks or trail mix.
- Clean your house before or after work, but don’t clean during office hours. Keeping the house tidy and organized provides a mental calmness for me.
- During breaks, step outside and breathe the fresh air. I have a dog, so we usually go for a 15-minute walk.
- Bonus Tip: Its okay to wear pajamas one or two times a week. I consider this a major perk of working from home. However, I feel like I am a more useful, important, significant human being after a shower. Plus, I smell better!